November 28, 1927 - The Westport Volunteer Fire Co. is a duly organized association for the protection of property. This organization is financing its fire fighting equipment from its own treasury. This was unanimously voted on at the Town Meeting.
1928-Irving Hammond is appointed Fire Chief
March 14, 1928 – Westport Fire Department is organized and members are without compensation.
1932- Additional truck is added and is stationed at Routhier’s Garage. (This is the first North End Fire Station. It was located in the Greenwood Park section of Westport). The North Westport Fire Association is formed.
March 13, 1934 - Westport Firefighters become Permanent and compensated. Town Meeting voted in favor of $1,350 for permanent firefighters and $750 for the remuneration of call firefighters.
Sept. 8, 1934 – Vote was unanimous at Town Meeting to insure Firemen while on duty.
1938- Lynwood Potter is appointed Fire Chief
1941- Stanley Gifford is appointed Fire Chief
December 2, 1946 – Head of Westport Fire Association, INC. is formed. They begin plans to construct a fire station to be located in the Head of Westport.
August 2, 1948 - Building Plans for Station 3 were accepted and construction began. The cost of the building is being paid off by the annual Fourth of July Parade and Fireworks. These events began in 1947.
November 14, 1952 – 8 Children and 1 Adult perish in a fire on Mt. Pleasant St. This is the greatest loss of life in a single fire in the history of the Westport Fire Dept.
1961-Lynwood Potter is re-appointed Fire Chief
September 25, 1968 - Westport full-time Firefighters join the International Association of Firefighters & Professional Firefighters of Massachusetts. Our newly formed union is known as the "Westport Permanent Firefighters Association". We are given the number 1802 from the IAFF.
1970- Harold J. Miller is appointed Fire Chief
August 25, 1970- Firefighters move from the Rt. 6 station into new Fire Station at 85 Briggs Rd. This is the only station in the 80 year history of the department that is owned by the Town of Westport
1972-George Dean is appointed Fire Chief
March 8, 1973- Westport responds mutual aid to the Firestone Mill Complex in Fall River. Westport along with 8 other communities responded to help battle this blaze
July 1, 1974- Westport Fire Dept. takes over the ambulance service from the Police Department.
1978- Addition to Station 1 is built. This addition gave the department the ability to house 3 more apparatus in the Central Village Fire Station. Construction was done by students of Diman High School
1982- William D. Tripp is appointed Fire Chief
May 11, 1982 – Westport Fire Dept. responds mutual aid to the Notre Dame Fire in Fall River. Westport along with dozens of surrounding communities help bring the blaze under control.
April 6, 1989- Town Meeting unanimously votes to staff two full-time ambulances.
July 1, 1989 – The Head Fire Station (Station 3) closes it's doors.
February 6, 1995 – The Westport Fire Department ambulances begin to provide Advanced Life Support in the pre-hospital setting.
1999 - Addition to Station 2 is built. The addition added 4 bays to the existing structure.
2002 - Stephen A. Motta is appointed Fire Chief
September 10, 2002- Work is completed on the Firefighter Memorial at Station 2. A day before the First anniversary of 9/11
October 6, 2002- The Firefighter Memorial at Station 2 is officially dedicated
November 2, 2003- Westport Firefighters begin working 24 hour shifts
October 19, 2005 - Engine 1 goes into service and Engine 7 goes out of service.
2006- Brian R. Legendre is appointed Fire Chief
March 10, 2006- The Ladies Auxiliary is re-organized and begin to hold regular meetings
May 1, 2006- The new department patch debuts on the new all navy uniform.
March 17, 2007 - Ladder 7 goes into service. This ladder was mostly funded through a Federal Grant. This is the first ladder truck in the history of the department.
July 1, 2007- Engine 4 (the mini-pumper) goes out of service. It is converted to a utility truck that the department uses to plow and tow with.
April 12, 2008- The Westport Fire Department hosts the first Firefighters Ball in many years. The event was held at Rachel's Lakeside in Dartmouth, MA. The following members received medals:
Deputy Chief Allen N. Manley Jr. - The Chief's Cross
Firefighter Daniel K. Baldwin- Firefighter of the Year & Meritorious Service
Firefighter Brian Souza- Meritorious Service
Principal Clerk Terry Vaillancourt- Meritorious Service
May 26, 2008- Westport Fire Department Color Guard debuts at the Memorial Day parade.
June 17, 2008- Voters approve a not to exceed 7 million dollar figure for the construction of a new south end fire station. The final vote count was 1243 in favor and 798 opposed. The article received a majority at all polling locations in town. The new south end station will be located at 54 Hixbridge Rd.
June 23, 2008- The Department purchases back the 1932 MACK after it had spent over 40 years sitting in an open field on Pine Hill Rd. It was the first 1000 gallon truck built by the MACK company for a country fire department and served the town until 1963. Initially the company would warranty the chasis, but the truck proved to be a prototype for future models
August 3, 2008- Westport Firefighters along with members of the Tiverton, Fall River, and Portsmouth Fire Departments respond to a call of a man overboard on Stafford Pond. Tiverton Firefighter Gerald Leduc loses his life during the rescue efforts. Brother Leduc was 52 years old, a 25-year member of the Tiverton Fire Dept, and a certified diver.
January 2, 2009- The word "SLOT" is replaced with the word "GROUP" to describe the crew shift on duty. Crew shifts presently are Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, & Group 4.
January 22, 2009- Local 1802 honor guard begins to assemble and practice.
March 6, 2009- EMA 2 out of service forever. EMA 2 was the old Engine 4(mini-pumper) that was converted into a utility truck. It also had served as the plow truck for the north end fire station.
March 10, 2009- Local 1802 Flag debuts at the monthly union meeting.
April 7, 2009 - Construction of the new station 1 is awarded to BARR General Contractors, Inc. BARR construction is located at 588 Pomfret St., Putnam CT. They were the lower bidders on the project at $4,350,750.00. Construction will begin in late April of 2009 and is expected to last 14 months.
May 5, 2009 - Groundbreaking for new south end fire station.
August 18, 2009- Firefighters respond to report of fire at the Westport Point United Methodist Church located at 1912 Main Rd. Firefighters work through the extremely warm weather to limit the damage to 100,000. Assisting Westport Firefighters in the preservation of this historical building were members of Dartmouth District 2.
September 11, 2009- Two Flags are flown over the station 1 construction site at 54 Hixbridge Road for the first time. The american flag flown this day was the casket flag of Westport retired career firefighter George Mosher.
October 8, 2009- "Topping Off" Ceremony takes place at the Station 1 Construction site at 54 Hixbridge Rd. In this ceremony, individuals are given the opportunity to sign a metal beam that will be secured into the structure. This day also marked the construction project as 50% completed.
July 16, 2010- Firefighters move into the new station at 54 Hixbridge Rd. leaving the station at 911 Main which housed firefighters since 1927.
July 1, 2010- Deputy Allen Manley is demoted to Captain due to financial constraints within the Towns Budget. Lt. John Andrade retires from the ranks of Full time Firefighter.
July 30, 2010- The new station one at 54 Hixbridge Rd. is dedicated.
December 31, 2010 - Firefighters finish off the busiest year on record with 2,374 calls for service. Firefighters worked a large structure fire from 2010 into the early hours of the New Year.