Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 

June 22, 2018
IAFF Local Newswire
 
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Jun. 22 (16:00)

Valley Fair Public Safety Day
IAFF Local 21
Mauer Chevrolet Promotion
IAFF Local 21
FOX NEWS COVERAGE
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Boston Local 718 Awards Night Photos
Boston Fire Fighters
IAFF/BCFD CBA Ratification Vote
Albuquerque Area Fire Fighters
Uniformed Professional Fire Fighters Association Of Connecticut QUESTIONNAIRE FOR 2018 Candidates
UPFFA
 
     
UnionActive Newswire
 
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Jun. 22 (16:59)

Settlement In Principle Reached With UPS
Teamsters Local 776
Fight Like A Girl T-Shirts
San Marcos Police Officers' Association
AMFA - ASA and Virgin America Transition and Seniority Integration Agreements Referendum Notice
AMFA
Supreme Court Decision Pending On Janus v. AFSCME
IATSE Local 488
Contract Negotiations Kick Off Rally
APWU local 67
Joint Council 37 and Western Region UPS Negotiations Continue, National Contract Settlement Update
Teamsters Local 162
 
     
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
Updated On: Dec 26, 2007

Carbon monoxide is commonly known as “the silent killer.” Because it is colorless odorless, and tasteless, none of your senses can detect it. CO claims the lives of nearly 300 people in their homes each year according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). CO is a potentially deadly gas that is produced by fuel-burning heating equipment, such as furnaces, wood stoves, fireplaces, and kerosene heaters. Follow these guidelines to help keep your family safer

  • Have a qualified technician inspect fuel-burning appliances at least once each year. Fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, hot water heaters and stoves require yearly maintenance. Over time, components can become damaged or deteriorate. A qualified technician can identify and repair problems with your fuel-burning appliances
  • Be alert to the danger signs that signal a CO problem: streaks of carbon or soot around the service door of your fuel-burning appliances; the absence of a draft in your chimney; excessive rusting on flue pipes or appliance jackets; moisture collecting on the windows and walls of furnace rooms; fallen soot from the fireplace; small amounts of water leaking from the base of the chimney, vent or flue pipe; damaged or discolored bricks at the top of your chimney and rust on the portion of the vent pipe visible from outside your home.
  • Be aware that CO poisoning may be the cause of flu-like symptoms such as headaches, tightness of chest, dizziness, fatigue, confusion and breathing difficulties. Because CO poisoning often causes a victim's blood pressure to rise, the victim's skin may take on a pink or red cast.
  • Install a UL Listed CO detector outside sleeping areas. A UL Listed CO detector will sound an alarm before dangerous levels of CO accumulate. CO indicator cards and other devices are also intended to detect elevated levels of CO, but most are not equipped with an audible alarm, and cannot wake you at night, when most CO poisonings occur.
  • Read the manufacturer's instructions carefully before installing a CO detector. Do not place the detector within five feet of household chemicals. If your detector is wired directly into your home's electrical system, you should test it monthly. If your unit operates off of a battery, test the detector weekly and replace the battery at least once a year.
  • Avoid placing your detector directly on top of or directly across from fuel-burning appliances. These appliances will emit some CO when initially turned-on. Never use charcoal grills inside a home, tent, camper or unventilated garage. Don't leave vehicles running in an enclosed garage, even to "warm up" your car on a cold morning.
  • Know how to respond to a CO detector alarm. If your alarm sounds, immediately open windows and doors for ventilation. If anyone in the home is experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning -- headache, dizziness or other flu-like symptoms -- immediately evacuate the house and call the fire department. If no one is experiencing these symptoms, continue to ventilate, turn off fuel-burning appliances and call a qualified technician to inspect your heating system and appliances as soon as possible. Because you have provided ventilation, the CO buildup may have dissipated by the time help responds and your problem may appear to be temporarily solved. Do not operate any fuel-burning appliances until you have clearly identified the source of the problem. A CO detector alarm indicates elevated levels of CO in the home
  • If you have questions or concerns, please always call the Fire Department. NEVER IGNORE THE ALARM!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
 
Westport Fire Local1802
Copyright © 2018, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

238771 hits since Dec 07, 2007
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image